CONTACT RICHARD HEWSON +61459467558 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record-breaking winner of the 2011-12 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
- Master Mariner and Winning Navigator
- Mini Transat 2013 solo sailor
- Currently seeking sponsorship for the 2015 Mini Transat Race
- Skipper and Navigator for inshore and offshore races, major expeditions, and ocean crossings
To say Australian Richard Hewson is addicted to sailing would be an understatement. Richard has been sailing all his life and most recently smashed records in the 40,000 nautical mile Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Skippering and navigating the Dubois 68, Gold Coast Australia, in the ten strong fleet, Richard scored podium positions in all 15 legs of the race, winning an astonishing 12 races, and in some cases beating the rest of the fleet into port by over 24 hours.
Last year Richard Hewson competed in the 2013 Mini Transat race and was leading the fleet in the first race to Lanzarote by over 10nm only to have the race cancelled due to strong wind that was forecasted to decimate the majority of the fleet.
Now, with the Clipper Race and Mini Transat complete, Richard is focusing on new sailing opportunities: like acting as navigator and crew aboard yachts in a wide range of offshore races, particularly in Europe, and developing campaigns in the high profile, and very exciting, Class 40 and Mini 650 yachts. His major aim in the short term is to race in the Trans Atlantic Mini Transat and race around the world single-handed in the Global Ocean Race.
Richard has spent the majority of his life at sea, and in that time he has been aboard everything from small sailing dinghies and ocean racing yachts to large commercial ships. These wide ranging experiences have led to him developing excellent sailing, seamanship, navigational, and meteorological skills, and prepared him mentally for the rigorous challenges of short-handed and single-handed racing. In particular, he has made an extensive study of sleep management patterns.
By growing up in the Australian island state of Tasmania, and being a competitive sailor since the age of 6, Richard’s love for the sea has also seen him become a strong advocate for the sustainability of the world’s oceans. Richard has supported many campaigns to help protect the oceans:
”I want to do as much as I can to promote sustainable sea-life and create eco awareness,” Richard said. “I have focused all my sailing campaigns on having a carbon footprint that is as close to zero as possible.”
Richard Hewson was born in August 1979 and introduced to the world of sailing before he was two-years-old. Following is a timeline of his achievements and qualifications to date:
- 1986 Started sailing in own dinghy
- 1987 Started racing dinghies at club level
- 1987 Entered first state championships.
- 1996 420 national titles, Sail Melbourne international regatta
- 1997 420 national titles, Sail Melbourne international regatta
- 1998 420 national titles, Sail Melbourne international regatta
In 1998 Richard joined the Royal Australian Navy and graduated in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in Oceanography. Richard then went on to learn navigation and served as a Mine Clearance Diving Officer for the next seven years before leaving the Navy and making sailing his profession.
In 2007 Richard headed overseas and competed in events in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and UK on a variety of sailboats, ranging from International 14ft dinghies to TP52’s and Superyachts. More recently he has been involved with the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
Outside of his sailing campaigns Richard qualified as a Master Mariner and began working as a mate on merchant ships operating between Australia and Asia.
A brief description of other accomplishments is listed below.
- 1999 CYCA Offshore and Inshore race series
- 1999 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race , Alexandria, Smalbrig 38, Helmsman
- 2003 CYCA Offshore and Inshore race series
- 2004 CYCA Offshore and Inshore race series
- 2004 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race Wild Rose Boat Captain
- 2005 Delivery Wild Rose Hobart – Sydney, Boat Captain
- 2005 CYCA Offshore and Inshore race series
- 2005 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race , Lyons 54, Bow
- 2006 Western Australian Ocean racing ‘Wild One’ Helm, Nav
- 2006 Etchells 22 West Australian Championships
- 2006 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Fincorp More Witchcraft Bow
- 2007 Delivery Fincorp More Witchcraft Hobart – Sydney, Boat Capitan
- 2007 Caribbean Racing Circuit Jabawoki – bow
- 2007 Delivered SY Open Season out of refit, La Spezia Italy
- 2007 Mediterranean Superyacht Circuit SY Open Season, Bow
- 2007 Rigging assistant Open 60 Estrella Damm, Offshore Challenges
- 2007 Cowes Week Regatta ‘Fedessa Fastwave’ TP52 Navigator 200
- 2007 International 14 European Championships, Cowes
- 2007 Fastnet Yacht Race ‘Windsong’ Boat Captain/Navigator/Helm
- 2008 Mini Transat training WA Coast, Gypsy, Modified TS 20, Solo
- 2008 Western Australian Ocean racing ‘Wild One’ Navigator. Wild
- 2008 Etchells 22 West Australian Championships
- 2009 Caribbean Racing Circuit ‘Windemere’ Boat Captain Navigator & Tactician.
- 2009 French and Mediterranean classic regatta circuit
- 2010 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Fincorp More Witchcraft
- 2011 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Titania Navigator
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race UK – Madeira– Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Madeira – Rio – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Rio – Cape town Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race CT – Geraldton Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Geraldton –NZ Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2011 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race NZ – Gold Coast Skipper/Navigator 2nd
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race GC – Singapore –Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Singapore – Qingdao – Skipper/Navigator 3rd
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Qingdao – California – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race California – Panama – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Panama – New York – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race New York- Halifax – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Halifax – Derry Londonderry – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Derry Londonderry-Den Helder – Skipper/Navigator 3rd
- 2012 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race Den Helder – Southampton – Skipper/Navigator 1st
- Overall winner of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
- 2013 Maxi Worlds – Highland Fling – Bow
- 2013 Mini Transat season and Mini Transat Race – Solo Navigator
- 2013 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race – 5th IRC in Class, 9th IRC overall – Navigator
“As well as having the ability to sail a yacht to the maximum of its potential, I pride myself with being able to analyse the ocean and weather systems that greatly influence the outcome of a long distance yacht race. Meticulous preparation of a yacht, and its crew, is another key element in a successful yacht racing campaign. My years of experience at sea, and my strong approach to ensuring the best possible preparation for myself, the crew and the yacht, have contributed greatly to my success.”